The DOT – Placarding eLearning course has been designed to provide participants with an understanding of the different hazardous materials placards, specifications, and the importance of implementation when transporting a hazardous material.
This course meets standards as outlined in United States Department of Transportation (US DOT) Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR) 49 CFR §172.500 – §172.560.
| Course Objectives
|| Topics Covered
| After completing this course, the student will:
|| This course will cover the following topic(s):
- Understand the purpose of placards and their importance during the transportation of a hazardous material.
- Comprehend the general rules for placarding.
- Know who is responsible for ensuring they are properly affixed.
- Implement the regulations to ensure the safety of the shipper, the handler, and the environment during transportation.
- Understand how to read and comply with Table 1 and Table 2 (§172.504e), and any exceptions.
- Determine when to use special placarding provisions for hazardous materials transported by highway and rail.
- Understand how a placard must be displayed during transportation and the importance of its visibility.
- Comprehend the general placard specifications and ensure all placards meet those requirements before transportation.
- Recognize the different types of placards and know what Class of hazardous material they represent.
- Identify the different options an identification number can be displayed both on or adjacent to a placard.
- Placarding Requirements
- Final Exam
Course Specific Information:
Placarding is a joint responsibility between the shipper and the carrier to ensure the correct placards are offered and properly affixed. The DOT – Placarding course provides detailed information on placard specifications and exceptions per the Hazardous Material Regulations, and will benefit anyone involved in transporting hazardous materials.
Why use this course?
These are downloadable SCORM Courses. Once you download them they are yours to use in your learning management system. Your employees may review the material as many times as needed.
What It Includes
Once you purchase the course you have 365 days of access to updates. These updates are free of charge. We update our courses frequently. If you need a course that is no longer available for free updates you will need to purchase the new course and upload it into your system. You may not resell the course package
This course will:
- Upload into your LMS using the manifest file
- Launch within your system
- Track student progress
- Bookmark their exit point
- Provide a test which will send a mastery score to your system
- Records Completion
How do I test drive a course?
If you would like to test one of our courses a few steps need to be completed. The Portable Fire Extinguisher course is a small course and available for free. See the free courses section.
Follow these steps:
- Fill out your complete profile
- Purchase the fire extinguisher course like any online store. The cost is $0.00.
- The course is then available for your download.
- You now own the course.
You may install it into your LMS and use it for Free. This course will allow
you to test your LMS and course interoperability. Other courses may be made
available by calling 800-339-0642.
Looking for Online Training Instead?
If you do not own a Learning Management System and would like to have online training that your employees can take at a minimal cost then we suggest you look at our other site
The Pay-Per-View Train site provides world-class training guaranteed to run. Many of these same courses are available, and we are building more every day. The reduced cost covers our infrastructure and bandwidth needs with a minimal upcharge to help businesses stay compliant with regulatory training.